KEMERALTI BAZAAR IZMIR
Izmir Kemeraltı Mall has been the most lively shopping center in Izmir for centuries, spanning a vast area from the Mezarlıkbası district to Konak Square. It was originally built during the Ottoman period as a small grand bazaar with vaults, which is why it is called Kemeraltı in Turkish. In the 17th and 18th centuries, French and British merchants, followed by Turkish immigrants from Greece and the Aegean Islands in the 19th century, greatly contributed to the expansion of the shopping center, making it the center of trade in Izmir. Over time, it grew to encompass a large area surrounding Konak Square, offering a diverse range of shops.
The first shopping mall was opened between 1650 and 1670, as the coastline was filled and new residential areas were established. Many caravanserais and inns were built to accommodate camel caravan merchants and their animals. One of the best-preserved caravanserais, “Kızlar agası hanı-Master of the Girls’ Inn,” built in 1774 by Hacı Besir, is open to visitors today. In its early days, Izmir Kemeraltı Carsisi was a small replica of the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, with its vaulted walls and stores. It served as the commercial and food market, with old inns and bazaars, until 1900. The mall was home to blacksmiths, charcoal burners, spice shops, herbal stores, pharmacies, straw markets, and copper masters, each separated from one another.
5 REASONS TO VISIT IZMIR KEMERALTI CARSISI
Today, Kemeraltı Mall has evolved from its historic roots and has become a major shopping destination in Izmir, with modern amenities such as business centers, cafes, cinemas, large shopping malls, offices, and stores. Despite this modernization, visitors can still find traditional Turkish handicrafts such as ceramics, tile panels, woodwork, metalwork, plain-woven mats, carpets, and rugs in the older parts of the mall, serving as a testament to its rich history.
Izmir Kemeraltı Mall is one of the most vibrant and historically rich shopping centers in Turkey, offering a unique blend of traditional and modern elements. As a traveler, there are many reasons to visit this bazaar, which has been a hub of commerce and culture for centuries. Here are five reasons why you should add Kemer altı Bazaar to your itinerary:
- Immersive cultural experience: By visiting Kemeraltı Bazaar, you can step back in time and immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Turkey. With its Ottoman-era architecture, traditional craft shops, and vibrant street life, the bazaar provides a window into the country’s past. You can experience the hustle and bustle of the bazaar, sample traditional Turkish sweets and spices, and even witness the skills of local artisans as they work.
- Shopping heaven: If you’re a shopper, Kemeraltı Pazari is a must-visit destination. From ceramics and tile panels to woodwork and metalwork, you can find a wide range of authentic Turkish products, including traditional handmade textiles and carpets. With its vast array of shops, the bazaar is a great place to find unique gifts and souvenirs to take home.
- Rich history: Kemeraltı Mall has a rich history that dates back to the Ottoman period. As one of the oldest commercial centers in Turkey, the bazaar has seen centuries of cultural and economic exchange, making it a fascinating place to explore for history buffs. You can visit the historic caravanserais, inns, and bazaars, which provide a glimpse into the past and offer a unique perspective on the development of trade and commerce in the region.
- Culinary delight: In addition to its shopping opportunities, Izmir Kemeraltı Bazaar is also a food lover’s paradise. With its street vendors and traditional shops, you can sample a wide range of local specialties, from fresh seafood and grilled meats to sweets and spices. The bazaar is a great place to try traditional Turkish cuisine and to sample some of the best street food in the city.
- A vibrant and lively atmosphere: Lastly, what sets Kemer altı Bazaar in Izmir apart from other shopping centers is its lively and vibrant atmosphere. With its bustling street life, lively music, and engaging street vendors, the bazaar is a hub of activity and energy. Whether you’re shopping, exploring, or simply taking in the sights and sounds, you’re sure to be charmed by the lively atmosphere of the bazaar.
So why wait? Book your tour with Tour Maker Turkey today and experience the rich cultural heritage, shopping opportunities, and lively atmosphere of Izmir Kemeraltı Mall for yourself! Our expert guides will show you the best sights and sounds of this vibrant and historic destination, making your visit truly unforgettable.